Executive DirectorJob Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Pay range: $70,000‐$85,000 depending on experience with bonus opportunities available
Windsor Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Bureau 421 Main Street, Windsor CO 80550
Email resume, cover letter, and three references by March 31, 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSE:
The Windsor Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Bureau has an immediate opening for an Executive Director. The Chamber is a leading non‐profit, membership‐driven, business organization dedicated to creating a climate in which business can succeed and is the principal voice of the Windsor area business community. Our Mission is to grow business, build community, improve the business climate and quality of life by adding value as we advocate, educate, and support our business organizations. Our Vision is to market the Windsor area business community and to foster positive public recognition of business in the Windsor area. The Chamber has over 400 members and has been supporting and advocating for businesses in the Windsor area for more than 70 years. The Chamber serves a rapidly growing community with a population of over 43,000.
The Executive Director is responsible for the full range of Chamber activities including but not limited to coordination of the program of work, organization structure and procedures, motivation of volunteers, budgets, contracts, income and expenditures, community outreach, service and promotion, maintenance and growth of memberships, employment, training and supervision of staff, interpretation of policy, vision planning, and maintenance of the Visitor Center.
- Facilitates the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and other committees.
- Serves as an ex‐officio Board member and/or committee person on all subsidiary Board of Directors and project committees.
- Develops and maintains a strong, open, respectful working relationship with Chamber Membership, Board of Directors, and Executive Committee.
- Assists the Board in the development of policy as required.
- Carries the responsibility for the execution of policies adopted by the Board.
- Appoints staff support for all subsidiaries and/or committees.
- Develops and maintains a strategic planning program, in concert with the Board of Directors, that clearly communicates the Chamber’s mission and vision to Chamber membership and the public, and continuously addresses the crucial issues that face the Chamber.
- Create annual budget for approval by the Board of Directors, maintain financial documents, and document quarterly improvements to ensure profitability and sustainability of the chamber.
- Maintains all required documentation, licenses, records, and publications.
- Searches out business community issues and assists in promoting community consensus.
- Works with the Town of Windsor to promote the region in local, state, and national media.
- Develops creative benefits, programs, activities, and event sponsorship opportunities for Chamber membership.
- Represents the Chamber in state, regional, and local government meetings as well as serving as a senior representative in meetings of local, regional, state, and national organizations.
- Hires, supervises, discharges, evaluates, assigns responsibilities, develops an equitable compensation plan, and performance appraisal plan for all employees of the Chamber with approval by the Board of Directors.
- Continuously evaluates the Chamber’s organization structure and ensures it is designed to and functions in an effective manner.
- Administers the program of work and activities of the Chamber including coordination of tourism development and marketing, membership communication, sales, orientation, retention, public affairs, website, social media and text communication, research and business development, and leadership development programs.
- Promotes business development of Chamber members by connecting business to business and business to community.
- Assists all businesses with community information. Direct new and existing businesses to the Town of Windsor Economic Development department for location/relocation assistance and resources and the East Colorado Small Business Development Center (SBDC) for further business development information.
- Uses technology to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Possesses the ability to quickly transition in a continuously changing environment.
- Seeks continuous improvement in all responsibilities.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
At least three years of recent progressive experience in a Chamber of Commerce or closely related environment which includes the following skills and abilities:
- Strong working knowledge of the chamber of commerce industry to include the principles of volunteer management, program administration, and strategic planning.
- Executive leadership experience (strong staff leadership, delegation, and human resource development; has led a complex corporate, community, or economic development organization).
- Collaborative relationships (demonstrated track record of developing effective professional relationships built on trust among all stakeholders and constituents).
- Volunteer organization experience (proven ability to motivate and utilize volunteers).
- Public policy (capable of advocating sound public policy and developing effective and even‐ handed working relationships with elected/appointed officials and their staff).
- Economic/business development (has worked collaboratively with public sector and private sector resources to effectively promote the economic development of a community or region).
- Community/regional development (able to identify both local and regional issues and effectively manage interactions with and among regional organizations to achieve common goals).
- Planning (proven track record of successfully developing and executing operational and strategic plans).
- Governance (significant involvement with board development and recruitment, governance issues, and interactions with sophisticated business leaders serving as directors).
- Fiscal management (demonstrated ability to manage financial affairs of an organization; experience with an annual budget with revenues of at least $250K).
- Fundraising (experience with varied successful resource development activities including capital campaigns, sponsorships and advertising, special events, and other non‐dues revenue campaigns).
- Staff leadership (demonstrated background of leading, managing and developing staff; inclusive while providing basic direction; allows senior staff team to execute without excessive personal involvement).
- Experience within a business environment with diverse groups and industries.
- Media/public relations (excellent communication skills‐written and verbal, disseminating the goals, objectives, and policy positions of the Chamber to the media and the community).
- Technology (actively promotes enhancements and expansion of technology; recognizes value and potential of social media; computer literate).
- Strong attention to detail, time management, organizational skills; ability to multitask, delegate, and prioritize.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook, and mail merging is required.
- Experience with GrowthZone/ChamberMaster (or similar software), CRM, Constant Contact and/or other email marketing/communication software is required.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including PhotoShop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Paid sick leave, paid time off, and paid holidays.
- Potential for bonuses and commissions.
- Ongoing training with personal and professional development opportunities.
- Flexible schedule to compensate for evening and weekend activities.
This is a diversified job requiring sustained mental effort related to public contacts, organizational issues, mediation, planning and technical areas as well as travel, public speaking, and non‐standard business hours. There is sustained exposure to public contact. The working environment is fun and fast paced.
- Full‐time, exempt position (includes evening and weekend events).
- Reports to Board of Directors; has direct reports and supervisory responsibilities.
- Primarily in‐person with some virtual and off‐site work performed.
- Indoor office work environment with outdoor (events) requirements.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working at a computer, standing, and walking.
- Moderate lifting up to 50 pounds.
The Windsor Area Chamber of Commerce & Visitor Bureau provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
DISCLAIMER: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.